An infant is said to be colic is if it cries for more than 3 hours a day for more than 3 days a week, for at least 3 weeks. Normally it starts between the 3rd and 6th week after birth and ends when the baby is 3 to 4 months old.
There are no exact causes for a colic problem as it is not any health problem and vanishes on its own.
However, according to some theories and researches, colic may be caused by the following reasons:
• When food is digested too quickly or is incompletely digested.
• Baby's temperament
• It might take a little bit longer for babies to get adjusted to the outer world
• Some have undiagnosed gastroesophageal reflux (GER).
• An early form of migraine headache
• Mothers do smoking
Some observations say that any dietary changes by the mother may be helpful to ease the colic. Some breastfeeding women find that excluding caffeine in their diet helps, while others find recovery when they get rid of dairy, soy, egg, or wheat products.
There are still some tips or ways to ease the colic baby:-
• Try to swing your baby in your arms. The motion may have a soothing effect.
• The vibration and movement are often soothing the colic baby. So try to put your baby in a rocking chair or a vibrating seat.
• Sometimes playing music also works well along with the motion.
• After every feeding put your baby on her/his stomach and rub the baby’s back.
• Walk with your baby to a room where there is constant low noise like running clothes dryer, white noise machine, or vacuum.
• Put off the lights or fade out the light or make it dark